Need to add a warning page to a WordPress Blog? Using a free WordPress age verification plugin is a fast and easy way to accomplish this.
First – it is important to understand that while age gates are not required by law (in most major jurisdictions), plenty of businesses/websites dealing in age-sensitive content/industries opt to use some sort of age verification – common industries where you’ll see them include alcohol, tobacco, gambling, marijuana, escorts, sex toys, and more. In addition to the age gate (verification) we also recommend adding an RTA header to your site to let search engines know that your content is restricted to adults – we discuss the implementation of this header in further detail in the FAQ section of our adult webmaster resources page.
Best Free WordPress Age Verification Plugins in 2019
1. Age Verify
Whatever your reasons, you may need your site’s visitors to confirm their age before viewing the content of your site. Age Verify does just that. It’s a simple plugin that lets you specify a minimum age and add an age-gate between a potential visitor and your content, just to be safe.
The best part about this simple to use plugin is the flexibility it offers. You have tons of control over where, when, and how often your age verification window appears. You can do things like:
- Only require age verification to access specific content
- Allow logged-in users to browse without verifying their age or require verification for everyone
- Choose how long to remember a visitor’s age for before requiring them to verify their age again
Part of the plugin’s settings
And you can also customize the message that’s shown on the age gate, but you can’t add any images.
Note: this plugin utilizes cookies.
2. Age Gate
There are many uses for restricting content based on age, be it movie trailers, beer or other adult themes. This plugin allows you to set a restriction on what content can been seen or restricted based on the age of the user.
- Ask users to verify their age on page load
- SEO Friendly – common bots and crawlers are omitted from age checks
- Ability to add custom user agents for less common bots
- Choose to restrict an entire site, or selected content
- Select a different age on individual content
- Allow certain content to not be age gated under “all content” mode
- Three choices for input; dropdowns, input fields or a simple yes/no button
- Customise the order of the inputs based on your region (DD MM YYYY or MM DD YYYY)
- Allow a “remember me” check box if desired
- Ability to omit logged in users from being checked
- Add your own logo
- Update the text displayed on the entry form
- Select background colour/image, foreground colour and text colour
- Use built in styling out of the box, or your own custom style
- Ability to add legal note or information to the bottom of the form
- Redirect failed logins to a URL of your choice e.g. an alcohol awareness website.
- Ability to use a non caching version
- Various hooks to add even more customisation such as additional form fields
3. Dispensary Age Verification
Add a pop-up window to your website and verify the age of the visitor before allowing them to view your content.
Customize a variety of features in the age verification box.
- Background image
- Logo image
- Title text
- Message text
- Minimum age
- Yes/No button text
You can do this by going to
Appearance -> Customize -> Age Verification in your WordPress dashboard.
Note: the Dispensary Age Verification plugin is an official add-on for WP Dispensary, but does not require WP Dispensary to be installed in order for it to work.
Did we miss a great WordPress age verification plugin? If you know of a good option that deserves to be on this list, let us know in the comments below.